Header Ads

  • Breaking News

    Trials Of Love: A Short Story By Nokukhanya Shabangu



    Someone once told me: 'Always grab the first opportunity that comes your way as opportunities are rare in life.' But I wasn't given any opportunity so I had to create one. I've longed for this time for a very long time. I needed to meet Andile, the guy who I saw as my everything. He made me feel like somebody-someone very important-when everyone else viewed me as a nobody. We met online sometimes ago and we had dated for a whole year without meeting. That day was the day we planned to meet. I could say it was our first date. I couldn't wait to meet him hence I woke up before it was dawn-everyone were still asleep. I took my bath, got dressed quickly and took the first bus to town. When I got there, I took a taxi to where we had agreed to meet. It was the first time I ever set my foot there. I only took the risk to meet him because I trusted him so much. I was so anxious thinking about what his reaction would be when he sees me for the first time that I forgot the consequences of my actions and what explanation I'll give my parents regarding my whereabouts when I returned home since I had left home without their permission.

    Luckily, I met with him in a random park. We spent the whole day together. He was so charming and he left me yearning for more time with him. If I could, I would have slept over at his house but I had to leave. It was already late and I needed to hurry to the park to get a taxi back home. 'This place has so many taxis that will take you back to your local taxi park', he said. I didn't reply, I just looked deep into his eyes and kissed him. I felt something I had never felt before; his one touch made me feel like I was in heaven and I momentarily forgot about what onlookers would say since we were in a taxi park. 'Good bye,' I said. 'I'll call you when I get home and don't forget that I love you.' I closed the door and stretched my hand outside through the window, waving at him as the taxi drove off.
    I was so heartbroken at leaving him. It was like a part of me had been taken away. I got to our local park and discovered that all the busses had left. I had no choice but to take a taxi. On our way, I do not remember what happened precisely but I recollect hearing so much noise-people were screaming and crying-and then I felt pains-before I finally lost conciousness.

    My taxi had been involved in a fatal accident. Many people lost their lives but I was fortunate to make it out of the accident scene alive. It turned out I sustained only minor injuries.
    When I woke up on the hospital bed, the look on my mother's face said it all. I had disappointed her, although I didn't intend to-I only wanted to meet Andile and  I know she wouldn't have allowed me to.

    The visiting hours were almost over and they had to leave.  Just as my parents were saying their goodbyes, Andile came in alongside his elder brother, carrying a bouquet of flowers. I didn't know how he found out I was involved in an accident and was admitted at the hospital. As I was still a teenager, he promised my mother that he would wait for me till I finished college before we get married.

    Good things can come out of bad things. I had lost my mom's trust and thought I would never regain it, but I 've found my soulmate, my source of joy and lifetime happiness.

    Drop your comment, let the writer know what you think

    No comments

    Clicks

    Click here to chat with us on whatsapp for any enquiry
    Click here to chat with us on whatsapp for any enquiry

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad